Pages

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Small Step Sunday - Break Your Fast

One of the easiest habits to start is also one that many people skip: eating breakfast. Depending on when you eat your last bite of food at night and the time you get up in the morning, you may be without food for 8-12 hours. This might surprise you, but our bodies were designed to run on food! ;)



It's important to start your day with nourishment, to break the fast from the night before, and to set yourself up for a day of positive eating habits. If you are already a breakfast eater you can make an attempt to eat healthier breakfasts. If you are not, get started!



The timing of your breakfast will depend on your day. I usually work out first thing in the morning so my pattern is to work out on an empty stomach or eat a small bite before I start. After my workout during the week I eat about 100 calories worth of food after, and then eat my full smoothie when I get to work. On the weekends I usually make my smoothies from scratch and eat them when I am done exercising.

Here are some filling plant based breakfast ideas:

  • Smoothies
  • Oatmeal, rice, or quinoa with assorted toppings (nuts, nut butter, fruit, dried fruit, seeds, coconut, spices, etc.)
  • Whole grain or gluten free toast with nut butter, mashed fruit or natural jam
  • Pancakes
  • Tofu scramble
  • Cereal, muesli or granola with nut milk and fresh fruit
  • Chia pudding
  • Breakfast cookies
I'd love to hear your favorite breakfast and welcome any recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment