Pages

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Small Step Sunday: Mother’s Day

I have a tendency toward cynicism, and I think most holidays have been created or monopolized by marketers to sell products. Fortunately, we can choose to celebrate holidays in unique ways that don’t buy in to the mass marketing ideal. Today is Mother’s Day and I am incredibly blessed to spend it with my Mom for the first time in at least 8 years. It is also the first time she’s been able to come visit in the year since I moved to Orlando. 

Me & my amazing Mom this summer

I know that many of us aren’t able to have our mothers with us on this day, or have mothers who are no longer in our lives or have mothers that never were in our lives. Some of us have other strong women in our life who have taken a motherly role. We can all choose to honor the women in our lives who have been important in helping us navigate through the ups and downs of life. 


One of my favorite photos of my Mom's parents. 

On this Mother’s day I encourage you to take some time to reflect on the important women in your life. If they are still alive, find some way to connect. If they aren’t, find a way to honor them - maybe listening to their favorite music, visiting a special place, or just sending a silent thought of deep gratitude. 
Me and my Grandma on my Father's side


I hope you all are able to make this holiday meaningful for yourselves and the mothers in your lives. 

1 comment:

  1. This is a beautiful post! And what wonderful photos!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete