Pages

Wednesday, April 9, 2014

WIAW + UConn

I can't start this post without waxing nostalgic about the UConn Huskies women's basketball program. I began watching them when I was 10 years old and they won their first championship. I have been an avid fan since then. I have watched them win all of their nine titles and have followed former Huskies through their professional careers. There is something powerful about the consistent excellence of the team that inspires me as an athlete and as someone working in education.



Coach Auriemma's philosophy is that hard work makes the difference, and that little things add up to greatness. These lessons translate to whatever work you are doing whether it relates to school, your professional life, wellness, art or building relationships. Life will always give you speedbumps and setbacks, but consistent hard work over time will always pay off. Congratulations to UConn, now on to the food!

A standard meal in our house: Mediterranean influenced tapas. This plate has hummus, chickpea artichoke salad, roasted cauliflower and tons of fresh veg.

My two favorite foods: Brussels sprouts and sweet potatoes. 

A typical Friday night leftovers plate. My co-worker gave me some beautiful greens that we braised and paired with all the leftover stuff from the fridge.

Lunch at Hawker's in Orlando. Jicama salad and bean sprouts!

It's been a rough month and we were driving right by our friendly local vegan/gluten free bakery Raphsodic! I treated myself to a vanilla mocha cupcake and got Carly this blueberry biscotti.

Bed of greens/kale, quinoa, black beans, thinly sliced squash, peppers, and topped with a homemade chimichurri sauce. 

Really tasty corn soup (we have local corn in our market!). I based it on this recipe but used amaranth instead of millet, added nutritional yeast, and threw in the rest of my collards at the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment