Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

Training update

I’m currently training for two races, a 10K on March 1st and a half marathon on March 23rd. I had registered for the 10K first but after my first half marathon in December I decided that I wanted to run another before it got too hot in Florida. I haven’t officially registered for the half yet, I have until February 1st before the price goes up. I wanted to make sure my training felt good before I committed. I inquired about hotels yesterday so I think I’m close to making the plunge!

I am following a plan similar to that of my last half but including more leg training on my strength days. I also have done some research on different types of speed work to do so I’m not always doing the same one or two runs a week. I also slightly upped my total weekly mileage from last time. Here’s what I've done so far:



As you can see, I haven’t filled in my weekly runs past a few weeks from now. My work schedule is weird for the next few weeks, and I need to see what works for the mornings after this chunk of weird weeks. I do have all my long distances planned in advance, but have been flexible with them as I go along. I know this probably isn't the best way and I think for my  next race I might pick a proven method/plan to follow.

One thing I am happy about is my list of speed workouts to draw from:



I know this looks like a mess but here’s how it works (in my head):

Title of the workout / length of warm-up run at an easy pace / the speed work section / the number of repetitions

The first workout has W/J/S to imply walk/jog/sprint. All of the others use F for fast and S for slow, which for me fast means my race tempo or a bit faster and S means a steady easy pace. Negative splits is a run where I aim to run each successive mile faster than the last. I haven’t tried them all yet but I enjoy the ease of picking one that fits my time and how I’m feeling.

I welcome any feedback, comments or questions on this – I am still learning! I also want to thank the non-runners who stumbled across this post!


No comments:

Post a Comment