Pages

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Small Step Sunday: Freeze it!


Your freezer is probably not doing everything it could be for you. Many of us only use our freezer for ice, desserts, and frozen meals. I've written before about how important it is to make a plan for your week of meals and your freezer can be a big help.

Here are some ways to better utilize your freezer:

1. Buy pre-cut frozen vegetables for use in recipes or smoothies. They can sometimes be cheaper than fresh, and are more nutritious than canned (and also don't have preservatives and exposure to BPA). 

2. Make extra portions of soup, stews, cooked beans, loaves, casseroles, etc. and freeze them for later use. I like to use masking tape and a sharpie to label each item. 

3. Keep your nuts and seeds in the freezer. This will keep them from going bad as quickly.

4. Make your smoothies ahead. I make smoothies for my whole week on Sunday. I freeze them all and take one out the night before and let it defrost in the fridge. It is ready for me to eat by the time I get to work.

5. Keep a tub of frozen bananas ready for fresh smoothies and quick ice cream. Sometimes I'll only need half a fresh banana, and having a tub in my freezer to store extra bananas is very helpful.

6. Make your own protein bars/balls and store them in the freezer. This is especially nice in the summer when you are warm from a workout. Cold bars from the freezer help you cool down and fuel up. 


No comments:

Post a Comment