Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

WIAW + Training

Life has been complicated lately and I haven't been able to post as much as I'd like. I try to at least be consistent with these Wednesday posts because I know how much I personally enjoy getting a glimpse of other people's lives and plates. Before I jump right into that I wanted to direct all the runners out there to a great podcast called Runner Academy. I am only through the first six episodes but I think it's full of good advice and inspiring stories. This morning I listened to two episodes while I ran and did my cool down routine.

The second episode was about tapering, an issue that is relevant for me since I have two races coming up shortly. I have a 10k in a week and a half here in Orlando. I'm actually not really planning to taper for this beyond not doing any speed work in the week before the race, and cutting my long run to 8 miles this weekend. I am really using this race as more race day practice for my second half marathon on March 23rd in St. Pete Beach. After listening to the podcast this morning I realized that some of my struggle in my first half marathon was likely from not tapering properly. I didn't cut my mileage as significantly as I should have in those last two weeks, and I took a fresh look at my plan to make sure I wouldn't make the same mistake this time.

Okay, enough running chat, on with the food pics!

A new favorite recipe Moong Dal Curry. Moong dal are mung beans, and I've been looking for new ways to use them beyond just sprouting. Of course I dumped turmeric and cayenne on the top of mine!

Salad topped with a Thai peanut slaw and pineapple tofu. Also good filling for tacos, but I'm a salad junkie!

Post long-run lunch on Saturday at Hubbly Bubbly Falafel Shop. I had my falafel on a big salad. Not the best falafel I've ever had, but the pickled turnips were amazing! 

This is the winner this week: bean tostadas. Corn tortillas baked with refried beans topped with a saute of mushroom, onion & zucchini and fresh cilantro lime lettuce and avocado. 

Collards cooked slow with black eyed peas and tomatoes. I topped mine with buckwheat groats instead of eating it on top of a cooked grain. 

Pho/miso soup mashup: miso broth with ginger, mushrooms, broccoli, tofu, noodles and bean sprouts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment