Pages

Sunday, January 12, 2014

In Other Words

Here's what I've been into online lately!

Shocking Infographics Reveal How Modern Grocery Shelves are Monopolized by Big Food Companies
I think we should all know where our food comes from. It amazes me that people will check a bag of dog treats to see where they’re made and don’t ask the same question of their own food. This graphic makes it clear that our food industry is monopolized by a few giants, and explains why it can be so hard to take a different path.

25 Science-Backed Ways to Change Your Life by Taking Better Care of Yourself 
I worked as a crisis consultant for several years and made good friends with several amazing therapists. One of the things we discussed over and over with clients was how important it is to take care of yourself. We cannot be good employees, partners, parents, children, etc. if we aren't in a good place ourselves. A lot of these are quick and easy to incorporate into your day.

10 Nutrients Scientifically Proven to Make You Feel Awesome
I love this post because it shows how easy it is to get nutrients from plant based foods. I read some of the list to Carly and she was amazed by how much good stuff is in plants. Eat more plants, y’all!

Simple Rules to Eat Plant-Based Without Thinking About Calories or Nutrient Ratios
This list is only 5 items long and is easy to follow. My philosophy is that the less stress we feel about our eating, the more likely our bodies are to appreciate what we give them. I had to count calories to get where I am, but I’m so thankful that I no longer have to operate that way to stay trim and happy.

Are These 8 Lifestyle Changes Better Than Drugs or Therapy?
I saw a great TED talk, Hackschooling Makes Me Happy by 13 year old Logan LaPlante, that referenced the work of Dr. Roger Walsh on eight therapeutic lifestyle changes that make a big impact on happiness. I agree wholeheartedly with this list, and know that it’s backed by scientific research. I based some of my personal goals for the year on these changes.

Accuracy, resilience and denial 
Seth Godin is a great writer and his blog is fantastic for short bits of wisdom. This post talks about the importance of resiliency, which I think relates directly to mindfulness and staying in the moment.

Training Tip Tuesday – Loving The Long Run 
Neon is My Color is one of my new favorite running blogs. This list of tips is a combination of sound advice on things like fueling and safety, as well as strategic planning ideas.

If You Could Have Good Health From a Pill, Would You Still Exercise?
Another engaging read from Fit and Feminist. This really gets at the core of why we move our bodies (or don’t). I think that I would still exercise even if I had a magic bullet type pill to keep me healthy because I enjoy what I do. In that vein, the final article for this week is on finding a workout that is best for you!

Find Your Next Favorite Workout
This wonderful infographic from Fit Bottomed Girls makes me want to try some new things! I know everyone isn’t suited to running or Zumba or CrossFit but we should all strive to find something active that makes us happy and feel a sense of accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment