Pages

Friday, October 11, 2013

Training Update

Half marathon training has been going great so far. I started foam rolling several times a week and I can see big improvements in my recovery and performance. I can’t tell if that’s from the training plan, the foam rolling, the clean eating, or a combo but so far so good!

In terms of the training plan I’ve been keeping up with my schedule with only slight modifications along the way. I’m also keeping a log of how I felt and any important notes from each day of training. The running has been going well. I am trying to stay at the correct speed to effectively train my body to burn fat and sustain a long performance. I don’t have a heart rate monitor, but my birthday is in less than 3 weeks (wink!). I have used several online calculators to estimate my ideal pace for a long run. Most of them put me between 11 and 12 minutes.

I do my best to hit that, but I’ve been closer to 10:10ish miles. My last long run was this past Saturday and my goal was 8 miles. I always walk for 5 minutes to warm up and then start running. The week before I hit the 30 minute mark of running, and that was the longest I’d ever run without a walk break so I made myself take one. I had trouble getting back in a good groove after that, so for this week’s run I decided to run until I felt like I really needed a break. I felt so good that I kept running for about 56 minutes after my warm up walk. Considering that I started with Couch to 5k struggling to run for more than a minute, I was floored!

I probably could have gone longer but I was near the one water fountain on my route and wanted to eat a date before I got there. The rest of the run felt good, and I pushed the last mile to go as fast as I could. I listen to and read a lot of running information and I’ve heard that adding a mile or two of fast pace at the end of a long run can be helpful. I ran the last mile in 9:16, the fastest of the whole run. I did 8.18 miles in 1 hour and 25 minutes.

Mile 1 (w/walk)
Mile 2
Mile 3
Mile 4
Mile 5
Mile 6 (walked to eat/drink)
Mile 7
Mile 8
12:54
9:57
10:07
10:06
10:10
10:36
10:17
9:16

I felt so great after knowing that I stayed at a pace that felt easy and sustainable. After my long run and weekly shorter runs I’ve made a point to add core work to my post-run routine. I am pretty much following this plan from Strength Running.

Foggy morning roads <3


On Sunday I’ve been doing 10k bike rides followed by strength/core work. I have flirted with the idea of triathlons and know my biking needs work! I also am still trying to find the right combination of moves for my strength cross training days. I did a workout on Wednesday morning (after a mile run for a warmup) that felt pretty good. I based it on 3 YouTube videos, 2 books and several articles/websites. Here’s what I did, just one set because of time, but I might shoot for two rounds on Sunday when there’s less time pressure.

Mountain climbers – 10 reps
Modified bicycle – 20 reps
Plie squats with lateral raise – 10 reps
Single leg deadlifts – 10 reps per leg
Pushups – 15 reps
Burpees – 10 reps
Hip thrusts – 10 reps per leg
Side plank w/lateral leg raise – 10 per side
Plank – 5 twists per side, then held for 30 seconds
Running motion V-ups – 30 seconds
Hollow man crunch – 30 seconds
Supermans – 15 reps
Plank row – 10 reps per side
Lunges – 10 per leg
Inchworms – 10 reps
Reverse crunch – 15 reps
Squats – 10 reps
Dips – AMRAP
Bridge with hamstring curl on exercise ball – 15 reps
Bird dog – 10 reps per side
Standing cross crunch w/weight – 10 reps per side

It felt pretty good and it was challenging enough to keep my heart rate elevated. Knowing myself, I will keep tweaking this until my race!

No comments:

Post a Comment