Pages

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Energybits Review



About six weeks ago I read a blog post from Forks to Feet about ENERGYbits. ENERGYbits is a product designed for athletes to provide a plant based energy source. They are 100% spirulina, which is pretty much the #1 superfood on my list.

According to their website: “Want more energy, more mental vitality, or a healthy high protein snack you can grab on the go? How about a quick way to boost your athletic performance, supercharge your run or crank up your endurance while working or working out? If so, ENERGYbits® are for you. Made from 100% organicallly grown spirulina algae and loaded with 40 nutrients, ENERGYbits® algae tabs have the highest concentration of protein in the world (64%) all for just one calorie per tab. Endorsed by the United Nations as the most nutritious food on earth, spirulina algae has been a favorite of Olympic gold medalists for decades and is a super food in every sense of the word, delivering instant and enduring energy to your brain and body.”

I began following @energybits on Twitter after my first exposure to them, and was lucky to notice a tweet about a trial of the product. I received a tin of ENERGYbits in the mail a few weeks ago, but couldn't try them out until I recovered from my week of sick. On Sunday I made sure to get up 5 minutes earlier for my long run to give the ENERGYbits time to work. I also ate my usual date and sips of coconut and regular water.
Although I had a tough run (likely from my long break), I could sense a deeper reserve of energy to power my run. If my legs and lungs had been up to par I think my performance could have topped any prior run. I LOVE spirulina and plan to use it as my main protein source in smoothies once I run out of protein powder. Check out this graphic to see the nutritional info on spirulina:


I love the idea of this product and urge any athletes (regardless of vegan status) to check them out. They are easy to use, easy to transport, low calorie and filled with goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment